Monday, December 20, 2010

Cracking Nut Job

NutB2010-0777.jpg


REVIEW -  PACIFIC FESTIVAL BALLET'S 17TH ANNUAL PRODUCTION OF 'THE NUTCRACKER' 

Who said there is no good theatre in L.A.? OK so it's not known for a theatre going town, but recently I've seen some really good productions, There was the Lythgoe Family Panto of 'Cinderella', The disturbingly fantastical 'Next To Normal' at The Ahmason and this past weekend I drove an hour north on the 101 - In the rain to see the Pacific Festival Ballet's production of 'The Nutcracker.' at Thousand oaks Civic Arts Plaza.

Firstly this was my first ever Ballet, and secondly the first time I had seen The Nutcracker. Overall I was blown away by the cast especially the guest artists from new York City ballet, Tiler peck and Gonzalo Garcia who were exquisite as The sugar plum Fairy and the Sugar plum Cavalier respectively. In the 800 sold out theatre, the audience cheered with excitement at every pirouette. I don't know the exact number in the cast but I hazard a guess at at least 70 members. Other standouts were London O'Donnell as the Arabian Princess, the three Russian male dancers in the sweet scene and Kim Morgan Greene as the very funny Aunt Tipsy, Reminiscent of Lucille Ball, she had the audience rolling in the aisles with her standout prat fall.

I highly recommend seeing this performance unfortunately it was a very limited run and ended this weekend - But watch out for this next year as It is a stable in Southern California. - CY

No comments:

Post a Comment