The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel Film Review



Plot Summary 
THE BEST EXOTIC MARIGOLD HOTEL is based on Deborah Moggach’s novel 'These Foolish' Things. It follows a group of British retirees who decide to "outsource" their retirement to less expensive and seemingly exotic India. Enticed by advertisements for the newly restored Marigold Hotel and bolstered with visions of a life of leisure, they arrive to find the palace a shell of its former self. Though the new environment is less luxurious than imagined, they are forever transformed by their shared experiences, discovering that life and love can begin again when you let go of the past.


I can't wait to get old, no wait... I am old to anyone under the age of 30 that is. And I lied I don't want to get old, lets face it, who does? Your body aches, your eyesight goes, you can't hear anything, you moan and your patience dwindles down to zero. Or this is how I imagine old age to be, thanks to movies like, the Judy Dench starring 'Iris', 'The Hours' and 'Batteries Not Included' But thanks to a slew of it's okay to get old films, Mike Mills' 'The Beginners' and The Peter O'Toole turn in 'Venus',  i'm kind of looking forward to retiring, thanks in part to the most charming of all movies about getting old (er) The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. This movie is a who's who of British talent, Dame Judy Dench, Dame Maggie Smith, Bill Nighy, Tom Wilkinson, Celia Imrie, Penelope Wilton, Ronald Pickup and Dev Patel.
Having traveled to India this was a definite trip down memory lane for me, the traffic, the colors, the music came rushing back. John Madden, the director of Shakespeare in Love, in which Dench won an academy award, does an outstanding job of luring us into these rich stories with his wistful shots within the busy city of Jaipur.  Dench a recent widow is disappointed at the state of Great Britain as are most of the other characters and they happen upon each other while staying in the most run down hotel of all time. Now of course, most tourists wouldn't stay at such a shabby-shack, but this is a movie, so I'll let that slide, plus Dev Patel can sell Ice-creams to snow-cones and you root for him. Over all this is a movie about fresh beginnings, new starts, changing ways and accepting who you are and what you want from life. I thoroughly enjoyed it and will probably be a movie I would see more than once, which is difficult to do in this fast paced A.D.D. society I find myself living in. So please forgive me while I run a bath, soak my weary bones, rub my tired eyes, remove my hearing aids and have a good moan about what is wrong with the world, but before I go, I would like to leave you with a quote from Kipling that is repeated several times in the movie.


‘Everything will be alright in the end. If it’s not alright, it’s not the end.’



A charming lovely movie that has you laughing, crying and breathing, deeply. A must see for everyone, not just the oldies. - Craig Young --'The Anglo Files' for 'Brits in LA'

Release Date: 23 March 2012
Runtime: 118 minutes

Comments

  1. Disney for oldies and so nice to see Bill Nighy romancing with a woman nearer his own age for a change!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to apply for your British passport from USA

Brits On Stage

Where To Find Your British Goods!