MEET A MEMBER - VALERIE KING

Meet Valerie King...
...from Preston in Blackpool, who moved to LA 33 years ago to pursue_adventure and a decent life and now works  on the Board of Directors for Malibu Global Awareness a small Charity that raises money for Doctors Without Borders and individuals like a local young woman fighting breast cancer at age 27 yrs. Im happy to report she is doing very well after fighting a rare form of cancer. I am also proud to say this year our 10th anniversary of MGA.  We have raised nearly 4 million dollars. . I have worked several other jobs, one as human resources for a major department store. My husbands career took off so I was lucky to be home , raise our 2 daughters and become involved in MGA.



Was there a particular reason you chose LA ?
 I  loved watching old glamorous Hollywood movies and wanted to see first hand  what kind of life it was. I always wished I had gone to an American High School, seemed more romantic … think that I may have seen Grease too many times! The sun, sand and the palm trees too.


What one thing do you miss from home?
Steak puddings and the wicked northern sense of humor.My American friend was horrified when my friends dad asked if I still took my ugly pills when he picked us us from the airport.
photo: dinnerdiary.com

What do you find the biggest difference is living here versus the UK?
Remember I moved here along time ago. Leaving behind , miners strikes, filling in UB40 forms and not seeing much future. Since then things have changed in UK. I wanted to work and having the chance to I took it. More opportunity to try.  Thank you Ronald Reagan for giving me a green card !

Pic: Handreasearch.com

Do you have a hidden gem in LA that you want to share with us?

Pearl Dragon  Sunset Blvd. Sushi and Californian cuisine. My local ! It has great food and fun atmosphere, with a good mix of people and families.


What would you suggest to others who are thinking about making the move here ?  

Its a lot harder now. First come on holiday and look around and see if its really the place for you. If its your dream .. live it and take that risk . I still pinch my self that this girl from a council estate lives here in California .




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to apply for your British passport from USA

Where To Find Your British Goods!

Brits On Stage