Thursday, August 13, 2015

DIY SUPERMARKET SANDWICH - CHEESE & ONION!

On a recent trip to the UK I rediscovered my passion for supermarket sandwiches. Cheese & Onion in particular. I had forgotten how much I loved them, and was curious to see how easy they would be to make at home. 

M&S were the pioneers of the pre-packed sandwich : photo Claudia Tarry



 After very thorough research, which entailed multiple trips to Marks & Spencer, Tesco, Sainsbury's, Waitrose and Morrisons,  I narrowed down the key ingredients 



2oz Red Leceister
2oz Cheddar
2 Tablespoons of sweet onions
2 Tablespoons of mayonnaise
2 slices of bread
Butter for spreading
Chives or Spring Onions 
S&P to taste


I managed to find some Red Leicester at Trader Joe's it has chili's in it which actually worked well, but if you prefer yours on the plainer side head to Whole Foods
I used vegan mayonnaise but will probably be even tastier with the real thing! 
Trader Joe's Organic Whole Grain bread has less than 1g of sugar in it - I find the less sugar the more it tastes like bread from Britain. 
Method 
Grate the cheeses, finely chop the onion/chives/shallots, then mix together along with the mayonnaise.
Spread your bread with the butter then fill your sandwich - you should have enough filling for 2 sandwiches. 
Not bad for my first attempt
The key to making it taste more like a supermarket sandwich is to press it down to flatten a bit, then wrap it up in clingfilm/saran wrap. 
Stick it in the fridge to chill for a bit, which gives the plastic a chance to set in (just kidding on the last bit!) 
If you want to be really authentic you can actually buy the plastic triangle packaging at Smart & Final and pretend to your friends they are shop bought.
I think next time I will mix the sweet onion with red onion and perhaps add a dash of mustard powder to the mayo. I definitely recommend chopping the onions as fine as possible. Mine were a little chunky. 

Do you have a favourite supermarket sandwich ? If you have attempted to make it at home let us know how you got on.
Let me know if you try this recipe and have any suggestions on improving it. You can email me here, or comment below






2 comments:

  1. finally a worthwhile post after years of waffle. Thank you, thank you. Next pls expand our repertoire by providing a blow by blow of making DIY cheese and onion crisps.
    Disgusted of Milton Keynes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words anonymous :)

      Delete