MEET A MEMBER - ROB WESTON

 Meet Rob Weston from Fleet, Hampshire who moved to LA 2 years ago to pursue his career as a movie producer.



Was there a particular reason you chose LA ?
I'd been coming to LA for the American Film Market with projects for a couple of years. I always ended extending my trip after being in town for a week or two, ending up staying for a month then finally for the 90 days. It was then when I decided this is where I wanted to be, so I went back to the UK and sold my house and applied for the visa. For me being in film, I'd always wanted to try Hollywood at some point, so there was definitely some inevitability about it, but it was a lot about timing, projects, life etc. I just always felt when I was here for those weeks in November for the American Film Market that I'd somehow seemed to get more traction on projects than I did when I was back home.

People here weren't afraid to say yes. It was that from a career stance which drove me to push for my visa and sell up and get over here. Of course being a Brit the weather is off the charts incredible, and there's just so much to do, every day you can be doing something new. It really has to be experienced to be believed.

What do you miss most from home?
Friends and family. I miss that common ground. I also do like doing business with Brits on the whole, as even though we can be cautious I do believe we're on the whole a nation with a lot of integrity, something I pride myself on. I do continue those relationships as much as possible even now being the other side of the pond.
Oh and I'm a huge Tottenham Hotspur fan, so I miss going to the games and watching them live, now I have to make do with the TV and often 430/530am kick offs!


What was your first impression of LA and has it changed since? If so why?
That here anything was possible. That hasn't changed. I've gone onto produce and executive produce some fantastic movies since I've been here and worked with some amazing talent and there's so much more to come!

What do you find the biggest difference is living here versus Fleet, Hampshire?
Have you been to Fleet? And no, I don't mean the services on the M3. That doesn't count.
Fleet is very small compared to LA. So the sheer size is the biggest difference. In Fleet you can do all the restaurants in a week and all the bars in an evening.The shopping mall is also very small, maybe 20 odd shops! That said, it's where I grew up and I had a lot of great times there and many close friends and my family are still there, so I love to go back and see everyone!


Do you have a hidden gem in LA that you want to share with us?
Starfish Sushi on Wilshire Blvd. It's close to where I live and the sushi is to die for!

What would you suggest to others who are thinking about making the move here?
If you're contemplating it, I'd say come over on the Esta first. Feel it out. It's a long way from home and it's not for everything, it can also be expensive, but don't let that stop you. Baby steps! There's good people here, great opportunities, a wonderful quality of life and so much variety, particularly through different cultures.

If your your life was a TV show which would it be and why?
It would be WALKING DEAD meets JANE THE VIRGIN, because I started in horror movies... from zombies to vampires and then moved into thrillers... 




...and now into comedy and romantic comedies and have recently launched a new production company with a Latin American partner... Oh and my girlfriend here also happens to be a Latina, from Mexico!

Lastly, how can we find out more about you ?

You can read more about me on IMDB

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to apply for your British passport from USA

Brits On Stage

Where To Find Your British Goods!