MEET A MEMBER - PAUL ROFFMAN



This week’s Meet a Member is Paul Roffman who lives in London.


photography by Alison Price


Seeing as you don’t live in Los Angeles how did you end up joining Brits in LA?
I came out to Los Angeles in 2010 after a previous recce mission with Industry Hollywood. I had an O1 visa which allowed me to work as an actor and magician. For an assortment of reasons I could only come for the final 6 months of my visa. I had the great fortune to meet Craig and Eileen through the Brits in LA Facebook page early on and they were fantastic resource and help and became great friends.

Was there a particular reason you chose LA ?
I came out to pursue my career as an actor and a magician and joined The Magic Castle which is also a fantastic place to visit and perform in. LA is of course the mecca for the entertainment industry and I wanted to meet and create some new opportunities.

Do you think you could ever see yourself moving to LA, if not tell us what keeps you in London?
I could certainly see myself spending a considerable time in LA, but I do enjoy London and its culture. London really has so much diversity and colour and is a great city to work. Also I have a thriving business as a magician and mind reader performing events all around London and the UK. I would like to spend more time in LA with specific acting projects in mind. As an actor I think a good mixture of London and LA would be perfect.


Why would you recommend other overseas readers joining Brits in LA?
People think that moving to LA is easy. Having been brought up with the media of film and TV, people think that they can easily assimilate. However it is truly a long way from home and quite different when you live there to a 2 week holiday. 

BritsinLA gives you a support network where you have the opportunity to meet other people who have gone through or are going through a similar experience. Questions are asked and answered from legal and tax maters to where to find a roast dinner or watch the football, specifically Spurs!
Brits in LA World Cup Event at the Petersen - photo by Paul Roffman

I made many long lasting friendships through Brits in LA and had some incredible experiences which would not have been possible without them.


We hear you have been working on an exciting project. Care to tell us more about it ?
I am out here to work at Groundlings on their core track program. They are a comedy improv school, where many of their performers went on to Saturday Night Live. 

I was lucky enough to have done their course in the UK and been invited back to LA for the next level. I am also looking forward to discussing some new magic projects for some future big events internationally. Wedding magic is very big in the UK and I’d like to promote that over in LA. I am also creating my next acting project and finding new US representation.
Lots of our members join Brits in LA seeking out words of wisdom - what is the best piece of advice you've been given ?
My advice is from my own experience. Moving to LA and trying to succeed in any business is not a short term goal. There is no overnight success. Overnight success comes from years of dedication and hard work. Don’t be discouraged if thing don’t happen immediately. Have a plan and stay focused. Make sure you have some money and can afford to live. Bills add up and some visas do not allow you to work and some only allow you to work in very specific areas. Don’t get caught up in the nonsense and false promises. Do your best to help other people and people will help you. BE NICE! You really never know who or what can impact on you in the future.





Lastly , how can we find you on the Internet ?
I can be found at
www.paulroffman.co.uk
info@paulroffman.co.uk
 

Twitter @roffmanmagician
Facebook www.facebook.com/londonmagician
Vimeo www.vimeo.com/paulroffman
Skype: paulyjr



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to apply for your British passport from USA

Where To Find Your British Goods!

Brits On Stage