Thursday, December 15, 2016

MEET A MEMBER - DAVID MCMANLEY

Meet David McManley from Cumbria who moved to LA three months ago to pursue acting and modelling!



Q: Was there a particular reason you chose LA?

A: Before moving to LA, I was in NYC modelling and making my transition into acting. In New York, however, it's a lot more theatre and I had aspirations for film & television. I finally reached a point where I asked myself, 'If not now, then when?' and so I signed with LA Models, packed my bags, and moved to Hollywood!

Q: What do you miss most from home?

A: How much time do you have? No, really-- the first things that come to mind are: a proper kebab, Camden Town, Robinson's squash, and Rugby.

Q: What was your first impression of LA and has it changed since?

A: It was like a dream. The sun, beaches, and palm trees. It's a climate and lifestyle I grew accustomed to after living in Brasil and one that I definitely prefer! So far, my impressions haven't changed at all. I take the good with the bad but, for me, LA has had so much more good to offer. It's been an incredible experience.


Q: What do you find the biggest difference is living here versus Barrow?

A: Quite a lot, actually but, namely, I think the people are quite different. I think this is true of all the north country, in fact-- not just Barrow-- but I find that people in Barrow are more genuine and honest. In LA, as an English transplant, I think one can be easily misled by the grandiose stories, because we tend to take people at face value. (You need to come and hang out with the down-to-earth Brits at breakfast Club or Pub quiz, we tell it like it is - Ed!)

Q: Do you have a hidden gem in LA that you want to share with us?

A: I don't think I'm Angeleno enough to say I've found anything hidden here just yet, however, I can't recommend enough The Getty Centre and The Griffith Observatory.


Q: What would you suggest to others who are thinking about making the move here ? 

A: Save your pennies, keep your wits about ye, and network like it's your source of oxygen!

Q: Lots of our members join our group Brits in LA seeking out words of wisdom - what is the best piece of advice you've been given? 

A: Brits in LA has been such a wonderful community to me in so many ways. Probably, the best piece of advice I've received is-- 'It's not what's happened, it's how we react to it.' I think it offers great perspective, especially in stressful times.

Q: Lastly, how can we find out more about you?

A: You can catch me on all social media for modelling and acting. For my copywriting and journalism work, check out my LinkedIn. Thanks for reading! x

No comments:

Post a Comment