Meet A Member Marcus J Freed

Meet Marcus J Freed who moved to LA_6 years ago to pursue Acting, Writing (& Spiritual/Educational Performance Art. 

photographer: Anthony Evergreen 

'In other words I'd spent a few years touring the world performing one man plays - Biblical comedies like Elijah: First Action Hero & King David's Greatest Hits - & since getting here I've published two books - The Kosher Sutras & The Kabbalah Sutras - the latter just won a bunch of awards which was great!

click here to find out more

Was there a particular reason you chose LA ?
It chose me. Felt like intuition. The mix of a fantastic community, tremendous creative energy and great spiritual depths. I feel there is a 'hidden LA': most people get stuck at seeing the superficial levels, but there is a Yin/Yang principle at play - I have met some profound spiritual teachers here and there are great depths that balance out the superficiality. Lots more to say on this!

What do you miss most from home?
Jumping on the tube and going to the West End to see world-class theatre. Hands-down that's the biggest thing I miss. That and my nephews ;-)

What was your first impression of LA and has it changed since? 
I was struck by the fact that people come here from all over the world to pursue different dreams. There are a lot of accomplished people who have achieved things elsewhere but they travel to Los Angeles to magnify their message. One of my friends calls LA 'the throat chakra of the world' because much of the planet listens to what comes out of Los Angeles. So this is a great place to broadcast, whether it is performances, teachings or other kinds of art.

What do you find the biggest difference is living here versus Watford?
When natives ask where I am from I say that Watford is an exotic twin city of LA - it's where they filmed Harry Potter, where Sir Elton John owned the football team, and there's a big shopping mall. The real differences between Watford & LA? I'd rather keep it diplomatic and say that both have their strengths...

Do you have a hidden gem in LA that you want to share with us?
Nope. That's why it's hidden!

But I do love Cafe Gratitude in Venice.

What would you suggest to others who are thinking about making the move here?
Do not expect Los Angeles to come to you. If you get a magical job offer then great. I found it worked best by showing up, meeting people, making myself available, and not expecting anything to happen. There is a great value to just getting here, shaking hands, and being around. My #1 piece of advice would be to set up a pilot trip of two or more weeks - the longer the better - because LA opens up its arms when you show up to it. This is a very special city. I love it.

Lots of our members join our group Brits in LA seeking out words of wisdom - what is the best piece of advice you've been given?
Always look for the good. See beneath the surface. Do not moan about the traffic but notice the sunshine and the amazing places that the roads can lead you towards. Do not complain about a lack (auditions, jobs) but focus on the amazing people here in LA, get collaborating and create something great!

Lastly, how can we find out more about you ? Are you working on anything at the moment? 
This weekend (Saturday December 10th & Sunday 11th 
I am doing the last two performances of my play 'Solomon: King, Poet & Lover - A Tale of One Man & 700 Wives'


50% discount for all BritsinLA members - 
use the code SOLOMON50 for $10 tix at www.solomonplay.com

5774 W. Pico Blvd, 
LA, CA 90019 (2 blocks east of Fairfax).





Visit Marcus website here 
www.marcusjfreed.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to apply for your British passport from USA

Brits On Stage

Where To Find Your British Goods!